Doggie Beach launch, 22Aug10

Subject: fishing today -- 22aug10
From: sunshiner
Date: 22/08/2010 4:19 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: cloudless
Wind direction & speed: SW-S up to 10 knots
Sea state: Low swell
If applicable (often at NSR): Possible small current toward the south
Moonrise/set: 1530

Participants: Fong, Jaro, Jim, Harry, Steve, Kev

This report is about the group who launched at Sunshine Beach today. It's possible that other Noosa Yakkers (such as Stu), launched at MG but we don't yet know how (or if) they went (hint, hint).

Jaro had nominated a 0545 RV at the doggy beach carpark. When I arrived at about that time Jaro and Jim had already performed the beach recce and deemed it doable. Today was special for me because I was launching my new (actually, used) ride, a Stealth Supalite X which I'd brought home on Saturday. So this was to be my first launch in it. The Stealth is very unlike my beloved Espri and I'd have to get to know it before starting to set it up with fishfinder etc.

While we were unloading our yaks from the cars Fong (aka Tim) turned up and introduced himself. This was his first trip with us after making contact less than a week ago. Before long we were assembling on the beach.

0601hrs. Here's Fong, ready to go this morning.

Anxious to try out the surf capabilities of my Stealth I decided to launch immediately as the waves were tiny anyway. So, without ever even floating in this craft before, I jumped aboard. The first thing that I noticed was a pool of water occupying the seat, so I started out with a wet arse (glad I was wearing a wetsuit as it was pretty cool before sunrise today). At this stage I should mention that the Stealth is built for surf launches and has capacious internal storage in which I'd secured all of my gear, including fully made up rods, ready to fish. So the external hull is completely clean. Having managed to take my seat I immediately started to paddle toward the breaking waves. Hey, this yak's a bit tippy, being only about 60cm wide. Never mind, I was committed now so the best thing to do was keep moving ahead. Here was the first test. A small wave had just started to break. This wave in the Espri would have meant a completely washed-down deck and yakker. The Stealth's upturned bow climbed the breaking water and neatly took me over the wave with nary a drop coming aboard. One thing I did notice immediately was the slap and vibration of the hull as the boat dropped off the back of the wave. The Stealth is made of fibreglass and has several inner compartments separated from the outer skin sometimes by only 1cm of space.

Anyway, I was soon out the back and relished the luxury of being able to deploy fully rigged rods immediately. Shortly afterward I was joined by Fong, Jim and Jaro. Very soon we were all headed for Sunshine Reef. On the way both Fong and Jaro hooked up on small bonito.

As I was operating without the benefit of a fish finder I headed straight for one of my well-tried marks while Jaro spotted good reef on the sounder closer in so started to fish there.

At 7am I had a good solid strike on my cast soft plastic and it was clear I'd become connected to a decent fish. Just as I was congratulating myself on blooding the yak the hook pulled free. Shortly afterward Jim announced that he'd caught a small but keeper snapper on an SP so at least one of us was on the board. By now Harry had joined us, and Turtleboy was on his way out, both having made contact by radio before leaving the beach area.

Harry's got a new hat. Here he is boating a scorpion cod.

The breeze was bloody cold, much colder than I can remember it being out there before. To make matters worse, I was sitting in a puddle, my feet were in their own individual paddling pools, and the fishing was deadly quiet. By 10am I'd had enough and by this time Fong had bagged a keeper tuskfish then busted his only rod while battling with a snag, Turtleboy had bagged a small keeper snapper caught on trailing SP and Harry had caught a bonito on SP. Fong, busting off a snag from a yak can be very difficult. I know a way to make it easier if you care to phone me some time, or drop in to see me.

As it turned out, the remaining five of us left for the beach together (Fong had left for the beach after busting his rod). I went in first as I was keen to start learning how to use the Stealth's alleged superior surf capabilities. Well, as we all know, the boat can have great capabilities but they all depend on the skill of the paddler, a paddler, who in this case, had never before taken a craft of this type back through the surf. My preparation for the surf zone transit was easy -- bang the rods and anything else that's loose into the large central hatch and secure the cover.

I decided to play it safe anyway and kept a wary eye out behind as I neared the surf zone. Just as well! A very large set appeared just as I was about to start my final run. The chest cam was running as I opted to turn into this large set and head back out to sea.

Woohoo!

Just clearing the crest as it starts to break (frames from video).

The Stealth handled that easily. So now I opted to run in and take whatever was thrown at me. Oh well, I have to learn somehow...

I was almost in when a wave caught up with me. In the Espri I would have broached and braced and gone in sideways but I decided to try surfing this wave in. I clearly recall watching the bow dig in and, despite the fact that I was leaning right back to transfer my weight to the rear, I think the bow must have hit the sand as suddenly the stern swung to the right and out I went, into thigh deep water.

Just before I tumbled out.

No harm was done. I suspect that I may get quite a few experiences of this kind in the next year or so.

Jim came in next and picked the sets well, surfing the Espri in on the shorebreak.

Jim on the wave.

Harry did it easily -- again!

Jaro survived this one.

Turtleboy picked his way through after an initial scare with a bigger set out the back

It wasn't much of a day for fishing but at least we got out and had some fun.

Washpoint at DB carpark.

My Stealth Supalite X, on the beach afterward.

Thanks for organizing, Jaro and for coming along guys. Stu and LeRoux, if you went out today could you please let us know how you went? [see Stu's comment at end of post]

Kev
Red & white Stealth Supalite, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

Email from Stu
:::::::::
Hi guys,

I launched at MG around 7:30am and possibly the easiest launch ever, without a ripple even landing on the beach. Le Roux unfortunately could not make it, however I was accompanied by a mate from Brisbane who used my spare yak. We headed straight out to Jew Shoal where I counted 9 stink boats already anchored and lines in the water.

In typical fashion I dropped my line and before hitting the water was on a fish, only to be disappointed when pulling up a small scorpion cod. There seemed to be a lot of drift happening against the wind, having to use heavier sinkers which I do not like as I seemed to get snagged heaps today. I had a chat to some of the guys on stink boats and all said the same that they had not landed any fish all morning. After fishing for approx 3 and a half hours and only catching small cod and 5 small flathead I called it quits.

Hopefully luck will be on our side next trip.

Stu
:::::::

No comments:

Post a Comment