Doc Dog in WA, 31Aug11

Subject: Wandering Powells
From: Mark Powell
Date: 31/08/2011 10:33 PM

Hi all,

Just thought I would give you a fishing update from our travels.

This afternoon I went for a paddle in the Indian ocean off Cape Leveque 200 km north of Broome. The ocean was alive with life of all sorts but sorry no pics. Whales galore, turtles, beautiful coral. I could see lots of table fish but none wanted to take my lures and as I only had shallow diving lures aimed at pelagics the Norwest snapper ignored my offerings.

Not so 1.5 m of very speedy black tip reef shark. He monstered my Halco laser Pro meant for a Mackerel and tried to bury me in the reef but eventually he and a very frayed leader came back to the kayak. He was very compliant and patient while I performed some serious dentistry to remove the lure.

Initially I thought I would have to cut him free or kill him but fortunately I was able to relieve him of his newfound piercings and send him on his way.

I did recently catch 4 Sooty grunter from the kayak in Elenbrae Lagoon but none was larger than 35 cms so it was all catch and release.


I did also manage to nail this lovely Barra from Chamberlain Gorge at El Questro station however due to the prevalence of Salties I was casting from a safe rock platform so it does not rate as a kayak capture. It was particularly tasty and has frozen well so we were able to have fish supper tonight in spite of me returning empty handed this evening.


Cheers,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment