Eyetag's last say for 2012, 31Dec12

TR by Eyetag

Wind - South easterly to 15 knots
Launch point - Lions Park Noosa


Participants - Eyetag

Hi All,

 I had a paddle very early this morning, launching just after midnight from Lions Park Noosa Heads. I went straight around to the Inner Woods Bay and on my way past the Sheraton I had my first strike. Unfortunately it was a Hairtail around 70cm.

A little further on I got another. Not wanting any more of these toothy critters, I decided to keep all lures in until I got near the current line out from Ricky's. Things were a little quiet here with only one under sized Spotted Grunter Bream ( Javelin Fish ) and a small Big Eye Trevally caught both on a slow rolled small Gladiator Prawn. With the wind howling I thought I'd head for somewhere a little more comfortable.

Off I went up Weyba Creek to Weyba Hole where it was a lot calmer with a little protection from the wind but the fish didn't seem to be here. I fished the area for for an hour with Gladiator Prawns and Gold Bomber with out a touch. So up the Creek I went to a spot that never seems to fail and it didn't let me down with 3 Big Eye Trevally around 30cm on the Gladiator Prawn.

Still thinking about Weyba Hole I paddled back and on arrival I could hear a bit of activity in the form of bust ups. When the Trevally are busting up here there is usually Jacks underneath them. I did a few drifts with a Gladiator Prawn on the bottom and casting the Gold Bomber, it was all happening, I was hooked up on the Bomber when the Prawn went off. This ended up costing me 2 fish and 20 metres of braid. I retied my rigs and simplified things by casting and retrieving the Gold Bomber.

This worked and I was hooked up to something solid losing 30 metres on the first run and with the fish fighting on the surface the whole time. I thought I had a Barra but when I finally saw it I wasn't disappointed with it being a Jack and an equal PB for me at 53cm. Next cast I had another nice fish that felt as good but it turned out to be hooked in the top of the head and dorsal ( he would have attacked from underneath the lure ) which explained the extra weight during the fight. This fish was around 45cm. I released him and thought I'd go back to the current line near Ricky's. Things were still quiet here but I managed to get another undersized Javelin Fish.

The Sun was starting to rise and as I was heading along the Sound Jetties I had another strike and landed Jack number three. This fish about the same length as the second was also released cause I think they're too good to catch once.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Battle scars on what was a new Gold Bomber

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The size of the small Gladiator Prawn

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Shot taken near the capture point. Photo courtesy of fishingnoosa.


Eyetag

2 comments:

  1. Well done there Ian. Only way to fish the river during the holidays is early
    Hope the southerly drops when I head back up

    ReplyDelete