Neptune was kind to me today. 06Nov15

TR by doctordog


Wind: Light North to North West 8-10 knots
Swell: variable less than a metre metre surface chop half metre
Current: little detectable current at Jew Shoal
Launch point: Middle Groyne
Participants: DoctorDog

I had posted an email saying I was going for a paddle this morning but as there were no replies I was sadly going to have "Nigel no friends" expedition. Waking at 3.30 am I checked the live weather feed from Cape Moreton and Double Island Point and found the forecast was holding true and the Northerly winds were slightly stronger to the south. As this was going to be my sole opportunity to fish for the next few days I was determined to at least go and have a look.

The carpark at MG was empty at 4.30 and the trees were still so I made my way to the beach.

The glorious sunrise showed its colours over the headland as I paddled north east towards JS.

Paddling out to Jew Shoal was a little more difficult than normal with the northerly breeze and no early morning boat traffic seen until almost 7.00 am . I passed some dolphins on the way out to the shark nets. I trolled a Laser Pro 120 with no hits on the journey to JS.

My nuclear chicken SP claimed two mid-30 cm sweetlip very soon after starting my drift pattern to the north east of the Pinnacles. This was a word perfect reprise of my last trip out to start.


I then caught my first snapper with a slamming strike on the trailing SP.

Soon after I caught a few other small snapper which were released and then on a following drift my cast SP went off with another strong head shaking run and significant resistance to coming to the kayak - head shaking and further strong runs that I had called to myself as a better snapper.

Sadly it was a very large spirited Slatey morwong that I thought I had photographed before releasing but operator error prevailed and I have no photographic evidence to share.

On my next drift I found more clusters of bait and fish on the sonar but subtle wind shifts held me away from my intended drift but it did not seem to matter this morning as there were hungry fish everywhere.

Nuclear Chicken SP did all the damage this morning and I lost several of them being pulled to pieces when they weren't being slammed by more respectable fish.

I had a pilchard on an unweighted gang of hooks drifting midwater that was repeatedly shredded by pickers but no large fish hit the pilchard.



Here is my catch on the Truth Mat at home.

I trolled my Laser Pro 120 on the way home from 8.30 after the bite stopped at 8.00 am. I had one hit in the middle of the bay and hooked, landed and released a solid bonito.

I had hoped for the northerly to give me a push home but the breeze dropped out and gave me no assistance on the journey back to MG. I had a few dolphins for company but none stayed for photographs.

A great morning out- hope the fish are still on the chew for the Sunday crew.


Tight lines

Doc Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment