Small Longtail, Big Spaniard at Rainbow Beach: 15 January 2016

TR by Tunny
Trip date: 14-15 January 2016
Participants: Tunny
Launch Site:  Rainbow Beach (in front of the Surf Life Saving Club)
Conditions: Wind variable up to 10 knots, surf zone a bit rough
Keen Angler Program: 1 Spanish Mackerel frame donated

While spending a holiday with my family at Rainbow Beach I got a chance to fish two mornings, the 14th and 15th of January.  On both days the shore break was a bit trickier than we normally have at MG (aren't we lucky with Laguna Bay and the MG launch?). But I got out upright although wet on both occasions.

Surf conditions - with my son on a SUP in the distance
On Day 1 I launched at 5.30 am, headed towards Double Island Point, trolling both a weighted pilchard and a Halco 120 shallow diving lure.  There was initially no bird action or bust-ups but at around 9 am as I was on my way back towards Rainbow Beach the birds started arriving and shortly after I saw the first of a few fish breaking the surface.  They were mainly Longtail Tuna, but very small ones.  The fish and birds were moving around quickly and despite several attempts I only got one cast into a bust-up.  As the lure hit the water it was taken by the smallest Longtail I have ever seen or caught.  I estimate it was around 40 cm long but never measured it as I released it while alongside the kayak.  I never got close to another bust-up so after about 4 hours of paddling headed in.  I surprised myself by catching the perfect wave.

On Day 2 conditions were similar.  I launched at 5 am and followed the same route towards DI. There was no fish or bird action and my Halco and Pilchard remained untouched for 5 hours.  I stayed out a little longer today as the forecast was for big winds and I knew this would be my last day of fishing off Rainbow.  But with no action I was heading back and was only about 2 km off Rainbow Beach when my reel started  to play my favourite tune, a high pitched scream as the line peeled off.  I grabbed the rod, played the fish for a couple of minutes and once I was sure the line was clear of my second trolling rig I place the rod back in the holder and quickly retrieved the other line with the Halco.  I had offered the fish a choice of lure or pillie and after 5 hours of indecision it finally opted for the pillie.

The Spaniard put up a good fight, but after about 20 minutes was alongside the kayak, gaffed and in the hatch.

Spaniard in the hatch, with Rainbow's cliffs in the background
 I trolled for another 30 minutes without any luck then headed in.  The wave I caught worked well until the last 15 m from the beach when a separate wave coming from the side took me out.  No damage done, just got a bit wet.

Nice Spaniard !
It went just over 130 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment